Saturday, January 26, 2008

drinking & driving


People don't use credit cards here. And places don't accept them either. I hate carrying cash but apparently there's very little crime since the government imposes very harsh penalties for even the pettiest theft. I realized I was running low so I visited a few banks in the area but none of their ATMs accepted my Wells Fargo card. I e-mailed Anita and she was kind enough to change some US money I had.

In the evening I met Anna at her apt. It's a palace compared to my place! 800 sq ft of marble lined suite complete with full kitchen and all the amenities. There is even a proper gym downstairs with a heated indoor pool!

We went out to eat in an ex-pat area with lots of foreign restaurants. After some delicious chicken tikka masala and tandoori chicken we met Rick and his buddies at a new go karting bar..

Josh - from Las Vegas. runs quiz night at Lush








Chris - from Philadelphia. runs beer pong night at Pyro Pizza
Ben - student from Pomona College
Jane - from New York. eye prescription of -9.5

The go kart track was enormous and the karts were FAST. I was astonished -- and scared -- by how fast they let you run them -- especially because the place also served drinks so basically everybody was drinking and driving! It also seemed hazardous to be running gas engines indoors. At least they give you helmets.

No comments: